3. Course Description
From the Catalog
Course through which students may earn credit on The Setonian (student newspaper) and its online counterpart. Meets for one hour per week, with an additional production lab for each issue (4 or 5 times per semester). Repeatable for credit.Our theme for this semester is layout. We will focus on how the spatial arrangement of elements on a page helps journalists communicate the news.
You are responsible for scheduling your own "production labs" in keeping with the needs of producing the print and online issues of the Setonian.
- Your production lab may involve selling advertisements,
articles, laying out pages, delivering papers, sorting through archives,
fact-checking, organizing files, or doing almost anything that needs to be done in order to publish the news. (While I encourage you to write articles for The
Setonian, ordinarily writing an article will not count towards your
EL200 lab requirement.)
- To schedule your production lab, contact the editor-in-chief, Maddie Gillespie, at email@example.com, and ask to be put on the mailing list (so you'll know when the office will be open and what jobs will need to be done).
Developing and maintaining a good working relationship with your peers is part of the learning process in this course.
- If you cannot carry out a task an editor has entrusted to you, please tell your editor before the deadline passes. It's a matter of professionalism and simple good manners to inform your peers of any changes in your ability to commit.
- Student editors and managers who work on the Setonian are just as busy as you are. I don't expect the student editors to drop everything and squeeze in someone who waits until the last minute to ask for work.
- Can't make it to any of the scheduled meetings? Not to worry. You can:
- contact an editor well in advance, to discuss an alternate time
- arrange to proofread articles by e-mail
- help with the Setonian Online at any time
- deliver print issues of the paper once it arrives on campus (let the editor-in-chief know you're interested)