Newsworthy vs. Snoozeworthy
"Dog bites man" is snoozeworthy because it happens all the time, but "man bites dog" is less common, so it is more newsworthy.
A Newsworthy Story
- is uncommon (rather than common)
- affects many people (rather than few) people
- has significant impact (rather than trivial)
- happens nearby (rather than far away)
- involves prominent people (rather than ordinary people)
A plane crash with no fatalities gets less coverage than a plane crash with fatalities. A crash in another country gets less news coverage than a plane crash in your own country. Does this mean that the grief of a far-away stranger is less important than the grief of someone nearby? Philosophically speaking, of course not; however, in terms of newsworthiness, the closer the event, the more newsworthy.