4. Course Objectives
- Read and interpret literary texts on an intermediate-to-advanced level.
- Demonstrate familiarity with the formal conventions of literary research.
- Develop the ability to recognize how cultural experiences shape personal tastes and literary aesthetics, and to apply that ability to their analysis of the assigned texts.
- Identify types of literary criticism most likely to support a given thesis or argument.
- Compose and polish persuasive, well-organized papers that draw appropriately on both primary and secondary sources.
- Identify multiple lines of intellectual inquiry that can be developed, with input from peers and the instructor, into an original, persuasive, and well-supported academic essay.