Students are expected to attend every class (according to the Seton Hill University Catalog).
5.1.1 Absence Penalties (for any reason -- excused or unexcused)
What to Do When You Must Miss a Class
- Consult this website to find out what is scheduled.
- Consult a classmate and arrange to get notes, handouts, etc. (After you have spoken with a classmate, I will be happy to answer any specific questions, by e-mail or in person, about what you missed.)
- Download and email me a completed "Absence Form" (available at http://jerz.setonhill.edu/teaching/Absence.doc) as soon as is reasonably possible.
The point of the form is to document your good-faith effort to keep up with the material despite your absence.
- For instance, if your coach announces the team schedule, I think it's reasonable for you to let me know of any conflicts by the next day.
- If you have a personal emergency, once the immediate crisis is over, I think it's reasonable for you to tell me by the next day.
- Meet the deadlines. Submit your work before you leave on a trip, or submit it while you're on the road. (There is a space to explain any extenuating circumstances on the "Absence Form," but my assumption is that a scheduled absence from class does not warrant any sort of extension.)Note: It may not be possible to make up some assignments or class activities.
- one absence: zero for in-class activities missed (unless your Absence Form proposes and you complete acceptable make-up assignments within one week)
- two non-consecutive absences: zero for in-class activities, and final grade lowered by two-thirds of a letter grade (unless your Absence Form proposes and you complete acceptable make-up assignments within one week)
- two consecutive absences, or a total of three absences during the semester: final grade reported as F
- To clear that F and complete the class normally, you must submit a written request to remain in the class.
- Include any evidence that will help me decide in your favor.
- Late arrivals, early departures, and lack of participation may accrue as absences.
- Please don't skip class after pulling an all-nighter to complete an assignment for this class. (If you do, I will count the assignment as one day late anyway, so you'd be better off coming to class and avoiding the absence penalty.)
- If there is insufficient time for us to agree upon an acceptable alternative assignment, or if an approved alternative assignment is unsatisfactory, then I may report the missed work as a zero.