Pretest Self-Analysis Exercise
Use the information you gathered from your MyCompLab pretest (see "MyCompLab Pretest: Using Your Results" in the handouts section of GriffinGate).
Why are we doing this assignment?
- Now that you have taken the diagnostic pretest, MyCompLab can provide you with a personalized study plan, and immediate feedback that will help you learn and practice the basic rules of punctuation and grammar.
- Your MyCompLab work, altogether, is worth 20% of your final grade. This assignment will help you make the first steps in getting those points.
- You will also discuss and reflect on your MyCompLab work as part of your Individual Learning Plan (ILP), which is worth another 15% of your grade. (We'll talk about the ILP a little later; all you need to know now is that this self-analysis exercise will feed directly into your ILP.)
- Regardless of the score you got on your pretest, I will record full marks for you, once you have completed this exercise.
Remember that a multiple-choice test doesn't actually test your ability as a writer, it simply tests your ability to take a multiple-choice test on grammar and punctuation. Nevertheless, the comprehensive grammar diagnostic exercise will help MyCompLab know where you stand at the beginning of the course. This exercise is designed to help you start using the feedback from MyCompLab.
1) Log in to MyCompLab and print out a copy of your Comprehensive Grammar Diagnostic 1 results. (See the screenshots in the handout for a reminder.) The page you want to print will look like this:
1A) Sign your printout.
1B) Circle the score of three areas that you did your best. What is your reaction to doing well in these areas? (Write a brief note on the back of the page.)
1C) Circle the score of three areas where you could improve the most. What is your reaction to learning this information? (Write a brief note on the back of the page.)
2) Print out the list of exercises MyCompLab recommends for you. That list will look like this:
2A) Sign this printout.
2B) Circle three recommendations that would help you improve the low scores you circled in 1C.
2C) Complete at least one of the recommended activities, and print out the results page.
2D) What is your reaction to MyCompLab so far? (Add to the same page where you answered 1B and 1C.)
Bring your (signed) printouts to class today (07 September).