Handwriting Analysis and Fortune Telling

Yesterday I was at St. Vincent College’s “Earth Day,” where a man named Dennis collected handwriting samples and offered a personality reading.

I let him go through his schtick — which included all sorts of affirming things like I am a resource person for too many people, I’ve either had a financial opportunity recently or I will soon, and I’ve recently been having some kind of medical problem in my left knee, or possibly my right shoulder, or somewhere in my back; perhaps it’s an old injury or it’s a sign of something that will come soon. He then did the same for my wife, and much of what he told her was the same — probably because the harried looks on our faces as we chased our kids around was pretty much a neon sign that blinked out “I feel overstressed and tired”.

When he was done, I told him, “About 30% of what you told me may possibly apply to me, another 50% would apply to anyone you see walking down the street, and the medical stuff about knees and shoulders and backs is completely wrong.” Then, feeling like a bit of a jerk (after all, this guy was volunteering his time at St. Vincent’s and he wasn’t charging anything), I added something like, “… but it was fun to hear what you had to say, thanks for volunteering your time.”

There was a line of about four people waiting for their turn, so I left.