Blogging since 1999

Blogging since 1999 (Jerz’s Literacy Weblog)

It occurrs to me that it was shortly after I turned in my final grades in Spring, 1999 — six five years ago — that I started tinkering with the table of contents page for my collection of online handouts. I thought that, instead of just posting links to the resources I recommended, I would write a short evaluative blurb. I kept doing that on a regular basis, and before I knew it, I was blogging.

And I mean “before I knew it” in the literal sense — I didn’t mention the word “weblog” until 2000, and that was only in a reference to a Wired article on the weblog phenomenon. What I did on my site changed as I came into contact with other blogs. Of course, my former student Will Gayther‘s addition of the code for attaching comments to blog entries less than a year ago was also a big change. (I can’t thank him enough for his creativity and generosity.)

I started adding dates on July 20, 1999 (when it seemed important to note that I was writing a brief blurb on the history of the moon landing on the 30th anniversary of the event).

I won’t bore you with a repeat of the history of my blog, but hey, what’s a blog for if not a repository for one’s random thoughts.