Critical Ways of Seeing The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn in Context

Huckleberry Finn opens with a warning from its author that misinterpreting readers will be shot. Despite the danger, readers have been approaching the novel from such diverse critical perspectives for 120 years that it is both commonly taught and frequently banned, for a variety of reasons. Studying both the novel and its critics with an emphasis on cultural context will help students develop analytical tools essential for navigating this work and other American controversies. This lesson asks students to combine internet historical research with critical reading. Then students will produce several writing assignments exploring what readers see in Huckleberry Finn and why they see it that way. —Critical Ways of Seeing The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn in Context (EdSiteMent | NEH)

I’ve taught Huck Finn numerous times… when I mentioned it during the job interview that led to my present position, one of my colleagues expressed surprise that I teach this risky book.

That colleague accepted another position over the summer, so I never did have a full-length conversation with her over the subject.

From an excellent collection of curricular resources. Blogging it in honor of Jason Rhody’s new position with the NEH (and new URL for his Miscellany is the Largest Category).