Multiple blogs are a reality surely?

Um, has anyone here actually used MT?

The ‘multiple blog’ feature is pretty literally that – it’s not just a mangling of category usage. Each blog has it’s own config, users/permissions, templates, and so forth.

For a single user it may not be a big deal, but in a school or business environment it’s a great help. And that’s even considering it has pretty weak user/perms management overall. It would be a great thing to have in WP but if the infrastructure’s not there, it’s not there (yet?).

So while it may be possible to simulate it, that’s not the same thing, esp for the majority of people who aren’t going to hack PHP to make it happen.

Multiple blogs are a reality surely? (WordPress)

A reality? No, they aren’t… and stop calling me Shirley.

I was just checking to see whether WordPress has made any progress towards implementing multiple blogs. Many people who commented on this thread are thinking of multiple blogs in terms of “One blog for my professional stuff, one blog for my personal stuff, one blog for what I’m reading right now.”

Yes, it’s easy to fake that by creating separate subcategories within a single blog, but that won’t work when we’re talking about a single administrator and scores of separate users (or, in the case of the U of M, hundreds of users).

I expect I’ll be stuck with MT in the fall. I’d rather stick with MT than take on the added burden of installing WordPress 90 times and having to deal with remembering 90 passwords, and having to install updates 90 times — in addition to teaching 90 users how to blog using different software.

For the time being, I can still keep using the free installation of MT I’ve already got, and soon I’m going to present to my boss a budget for our software expenses (that would include the cost of upgrading MT to the paid educational version).

We shall see.

Update, 2013: 

For the record, yes WordPress does permit multiple blogs. Back in 2003, when I was creating a university-wide blogging installation, I rejected WordPress as an alternative because at that time I would have had to run a completely separate blog installation for each student. At the time, MovableType was the better option. Fast forward several years — WordPress now does a great job managing multiple blogs.
    Just trying to figure out why this old blog entry is so popular… I switched to WordPress several years ago, so I wouldn’t be of much help answering a current question about MovableType. if you came here looking for something, I’d love to know whether this page was helpful. (I turned off comments on this page some time ago, perhaps because of spam… I’m turning comments back on to see what happens.)