INST 7150: Week 6: Blogs, Part the Second

I believe that educational use of blogs is plausible only if the educational context is suitable for its use. For example, it is plausible for me if one uses blogs in a journalism class; however, I don’t see any reason for a math teacher to use blogs in teaching mathematics, it’sreally pointless for me. —Murat OzogluINST 7150: Week 6: Blogs, Part the Second (dummies for instructional design)

This would appear to be a student’s online research project.

While I agree that classes that include a lot of writing and personal reflection are probably easier to envision in a blogging environment. I gather that there probably isn’t as much reflective, narrative thought going on in entry-level math courses as there is in some humanities courses. But perhaps, as math and science students progress through the courses that call for brute mental force and memorization, and get to the courses that call for original creative work, more procedural efforts that leave themselves open to reflection and narrative cognition, blogs might be more appropriate.

Stephanie Reigh, a Seton Hill student who is not in any of my classes is blogging her biology research project.

A regular reader of this blog, Josh Sasmor, is a math professor… what say you, Josh? I imagine that a plug-in that permitted the construction of equations and such would make blogging math a lot more sensible, though I imagine it wouldn’t be too hard just to use any old equation editor and publish .gif snapshots.