All for One (Grade)

“What if I were to collect your papers without names on them, and then — after grading them all individually — averaged the grades and gave everyone the same class average grade? How would things change?”

At first, the response was incredulity. “That wouldn’t be fair,” sums up the initial reaction. Naturally, those who assumed that they would get A’s and B’s were hostile to the idea, because the “average” would pull their grades down. But I asked them again — “How would things change?” —Mike ArnzenAll for One (Grade) (Pedablogue)

I really like how Arnzen describes the way he gets the class to work through their assumptions, parrying their responses, feinting attacks, and finally pulling their hats down over their eyes and clonking them on the noggin by invoking the meaning of “C”.

This term, I’ve been using a “Discussion Reflection Worksheet“. I don’t pass it out at the end of every class, but in my large American Lit section (30 students) and my much cozier freshman comp course, I feel the need for a little documentation to help make the evaluation of classroom participation more meaningful.

It feels too mechanical and awkward to cut off productive discussions in order to make sure I call on every student during every class period. I want students to know that even if I didn’t call on them, they are still responsible.

The five students in Media Aesthetics have to contribute heavily to each class discussion, and so far I’ve been delighted by the depth and quality of their discussions. All are asked to blog their responses to readings before class.

I’m a bit disappointed that they’re posting their responses just before the class meets, which means they don’t have time to read and reflect on each other’s points before class meets. But in all honesty the classroom discussions have been stimulating and productive enough without that extra layer of pre-discussion. There is enough time for each student to present her blog entry during class.

2 thoughts on “All for One (Grade)

1. Sounds like communistic grading to me. All for one, and one for all…

Sure, responsibility still holds fast to the students that don’t open their mouths in discussions. Maybe it would make more sense for them to volunteer information for a discussion rather than calling on people to drag things out of them. I realize that in core-filling courses, it’s more fair this way. But maybe it’s just hard for me to shut my mouth sometimes :-)

2. I admit that blogging on my peers’ entries has been difficult for Aesthetics. I spend so much time reading the work, that I find little time to read blogs–I just want to form an opinion on my own, and then find out what my peers think.

We do have time in this class to really talk with one another. Blogging our thoughts is a good thing, but in a class of this size, we can discuss in class rather than on the blogs.

In a larger class, such as your literary-satisfies-core classes, blogs provide an outlet for the students that always contribute in class to keep talking long after the class ends, and for the quiet ones to gain a voice.

Blogging in Media Aesthetics is taking on an entirely new role in our learning atmosphere. I think our blogs should be a compilation of links and material we find that could aid in discussion of the material, rather than an extension of the class discussions.