Dangling Particles

Ambiguous word choices are the source of some misunderstandings. Scientists often employ colloquial terminology, which they then assign a specific meaning that is impossible to fathom without proper training. The term “relativity,” for example, is intrinsically misleading. Many interpret the theory to mean that everything is relative and there are no absolutes. Yet although the measurements any observer makes depend on his coordinates and reference frame, the physical phenomena he measures have an invariant description that transcends that observer’s particular coordinates. Einstein’s theory of relativity is really about finding an invariant description of physical phenomena. —Lisa RandallDangling Particles (Edge — The Third Culture)

Great title for an article about public confusion caused by the language of science.

3 thoughts on “Dangling Particles

1. 8 core classes? Yikes!

I do read alot online. Sometimes people send me links, sometimes I Google words I’m interested in, and sometimes I see things I like on other weblogs. I watch almost no TV (other than videos I put on for the kids).

2. I truly enjoy the language of science. However, I do see where some would find it misleading. Catchy title though. How do you find all of this? When do you have time? I’m taking 8 core classes this year, and barely have time to sleep. Which yes, I should be doing now!