The Good In Email (or Why Email Is Still The Most Adopted Collaboration Tool)

Email as a collaboration tool sucks. Everyone knows this. Everyone says it. Everyone writes about it.

And everyone agrees that its inefficient, it’s chaotic, its silo’ed and its full of spam. Yet, in spite of these shortcomings, we can assume with confidence that email is still the preferred method of “collaborating” and sharing information with others. —The Good In Email (or Why Email Is Still The Most Adopted Collaboration Tool) (Central Desktop Blog)

I was recently invited to join an IM discussion for a collaborative project, but I declined. I can see how it would be useful for brainstorming, but at that point in the project we had already shared ideas and were approaching a “getting things done” mode, and I didn’t feel like that was the right time to switch to chat.

I’m not a total dinosaur. I think Wikis are great collaborative tools, because they keep a track of changes, which means I feel more comfortable making wild changes, since someone else can always moderate it if I’ve made too drastic a change.