Evolution, Alienation and Gossip: The role of mobile telecommunications in the 21st century

The space-age technology of mobile phones has allowed us to return to the more natural and humane communication patterns of pre-industrial society, when we lived in small, stable communities, and enjoyed frequent ‘grooming talk’ with a tightly integrated social network. In the fast-paced modern world, we had become severely restricted in both the quantity and quality of communication with our social network. Mobile gossip restores our sense of connection and community, and provides an antidote to the pressures and alienation of modern life. Mobiles are a ‘social lifeline’ in a fragmented and isolating world. —Kate FoxEvolution, Alienation and Gossip: The role of mobile telecommunications in the 21st century (Social Issues Research Center)

2 thoughts on “Evolution, Alienation and Gossip: The role of mobile telecommunications in the 21st century

1. Wow, this is perhaps the most egregious example of wishful thinking I’ve ever seen in media scholarship. I’m not even going to bother arguing, since I’m on the cell right now, trying to drive… but I would toss out the idea that pre-industrial social communication may not have been more “natural and humane” than post-industrial soc….

EEEERRRRSHHHKK…TSHHH!

Um…on second thought, at least I can call an ambulance. And as my blood pools on the street, I’m wondering… will anyone pull over and help, or are they too disconnected from what’s happening around them? And did they even have ambulances in pre-industrial society? And…

Hold one. Gotta take this call from Chaz. He’s phoning about Betty.

Yo Chaz, what’s the haps, bro? What?? Britney Spears shaved her head? No way!

EEEERRRRSHHHKK…TSHHH!

Chaz, you okay?