Allen Lee's essay

“So I had this dream last night where I went into a building, pulled out two P90s and started shooting everyone?, then had sex with the dead bodies. Well, not really, but it would be funny if I did.” Umm, yeah, what to wright about?? I’m leaving to join the Marines and I really don’t give a F… about my academics….

My current English teacher is a control freak intent on setting a gap between herself and her students like a 63 year old white male fortune 500 company CEO, and a illegal immigrant. If CG was a private catholic school, I could understand, but wtf is her problem. And baking brownies and rice crispies does not make up for it, way to try and justify yourself as a good teacher while underhandedly looking for complements on your cooking. No quarrel on you qualifications as a writer, but as a teacher, don’t be surprised on inspiring the first cg shooting. —Allen LeeAllen Lee’s essay (Sun-Times)

This is an excerpt from the essay that got a high schooler arrested for disorderly conduct.

And the consequences:

Because of pending criminal charges stemming from his essay, Lee’s recruiter told him Friday evening that the Marine Corps has discharged him from his contract, said Sgt. Luis R. Agostini, spokesman for the Marine Corps Recruiting Station Chicago. — Chicago Sun-Times

Here’s a fascinating glimpse into the way this particular high-school student represents his understanding of English class:

“In creative writing, you’re told to exaggerate,” said Lee. “It was supposed to be just junk. . . .”

Blogging this one for future reference…