NBC cameraman flies Mexican flag at march

A cameraman for the NBC affiliate in Houston was captured on home video sporting a Mexican flag on his camera while covering a rally in the Texas city that supported illegal immigrants, drawing angry shouts from counter-protesters.

In the first of two clips posted on YouTube.com, a counter-protester with a bull horn can be heard condemning the cameraman’s flag.

“Why does Channel 2 News have a Mexican flag on their camera?” the man asked. —Art Moore
NBC cameraman flies Mexican flag at march (WorldNetDaily)

In another clip, the cameraman is seen helping someone attach an American flag to his camera, too.

But the damage had been done. He was on duty, and should not have betrayed his bias.

2 thoughts on “NBC cameraman flies Mexican flag at march

• I’m not sure I understand your comment. I see plenty of freedom in this story. Who was prevented from “living how [they] want”?

A videographer in the United States who chose to put a Mexican flag on his camera got a reaction from people who freely chose to share their opinions, and according to the full story (the link I posted back in 2007 no longer works, but I easily found the article by searching the site’s home page), also got a reaction from his employer for breaking a fundamental journalism principle — that covering the news means observing and reporting, not taking sides.

If the camera belongs to the TV station, and the employee is being paid to use the camera, then the employer is free to decide how the camera gets used, and to discipline or fire employees who violate any of the company’s policies, and of course the employee is free to take the employer to court over the matter.

And you are of course free to shake your head. But I don’t see any action restricting Constitutional freedoms.