Amazon lets students rent digital textbooks | Education | News | PC Pro

It’s good to see some activity in this area. I liked holding onto my college textbooks, in part for the notes. (A few weeks ago, I passed two of my college physics textbooks to my science-geek son.)  It’s nice that Amazon stores your notes for you in the cloud, but it appears you have to re-rent the textbook in order to view those notes. Of course, that would make sense if your notes were just highlights and bookmarks, but I do hope that Amazon’s much-welcome “export your notes” feature still works for these textbooks.

“Normally, when you sell your print textbook at the end of the semester you lose all the margin notes and highlights you made as you were studying,” said Dave Limp, vice president of Amazon Kindle.

“We’re extending our Whispersync technology so that you get to keep and access all of your notes and highlighted content in the Amazon Cloud, available anytime, anywhere – even after a rental expires. If you choose to rent again or buy at a later time, your notes will be there just as you left them, perfectly Whispersynced.”

via Amazon lets students rent digital textbooks | Education | News | PC Pro.