Creationism dismissed as ‘a kind of paganism’ by Vatican’s astronomer

imageBrother Consolmagno, who works in a Vatican observatory in Arizona and as curator of the Vatican meteorite collection in Italy, said a “destructive myth” had developed in modern society that religion and science were competing ideologies.

He described creationism, whose supporters want it taught in schools alongside evolution, as a “kind of paganism” because it harked back to the days of “nature gods” who were responsible for natural events. —The Scotsman

There are plenty of creationists who already dismiss the Vatican as a source of paganism. I appreciate signs of dialogue. “Faith and reason are the shoes on your feet. You can travel further with both than you can with just one.” –Line spoken by a post-apocalyptic monk in the great 90s TV show Babylon 5, by J. Michael Stracszinki, (who is himself an atheist, but treated religion with far more respect than most TV writers).

B5 was the last TV show I’ve actually made time to watch. Everything I’ve seen on TV since then has been on DVD, or something a family member has been watching while I’ve been in the room.

6 thoughts on “Creationism dismissed as ‘a kind of paganism’ by Vatican’s astronomer