Where Do I List This on My CV? Considering the Values of Self-Published Web Sites

Of course, the notion that these Web sites have to “count” toward tenure and promotion is one that most directly pertains to a relatively small audience: tenure-track faculty members, particularly those seeking tenure, promotion, or other institutional recognition. These Web sites have value (and thus “count”) for an audience that is much larger than this, an audience that includes teachers working in non-tenure-track positions, those teaching at schools where the tenure requirements have little to do with scholarship, graduate students, Web readers interested in the topics of the sites, and so forth. I also think it’s important to say that the creators of these Web sites put together their pages for reasons that exceed the question of how it might (or might not) fit into their own cases for tenure and promotion, much in the same way that most of us who are trying to publish our S/scholarship in journals and books are presumably motivated by more than simply how it looks on our cv. Steven KrauseWhere Do I List This on My CV? Considering the Values of Self-Published Web Sites  (CCC Online)

As it happens, when I was printing out the final copy of my 4C’s paper before I left the house (in the wee hours of the morning), I ran out of paper, and pulled the staple out of my printout of “Where Do I List This on My CV?” in order to use the blank sides of those pages.

Oddly enough, that’s also my provisional answer to your question — self-publishing isn’t enough, and neither is any cutting-edge new media project. Publishing in traditional academic genres about new media activities does take time and energy away from those new media activities, but I don’t think we really have any choice — at least, not until we have succeeded in explaining to the reigning generation of scholars why what we do is valuable, and why doing it the traditional way is less valuable. We’re not there yet.