Crutches, Pills, Insomnia, and Oversleeping

Crutches, Pills, Insomnia, and OversleepingJerz’s Literacy Weblog)

I had every intention of getting up this morning to attend several presentations at the writing center conference that took place here at Seton Hill this weekend. My wife called me at the office last night… (she’s in Texas visiting her parents). It turns out my son is on crutches (he jumped off a bed and may have chipped a bone) and while everyone was dealing with him, my daughter got her mommy’s purse, unzipped it, took out a package of Sudafed, and seems to have swallowed three pills (nobody saw her do it, but she said Mommy’s “candy” was “tasty”).

I turns out everyone is fine — the poison control center said that she could’ve taken up to six before they got worried. Still, we’re all rather stressed by the whole incident… we were up late last night talking, and I didn’t hear my alarm this morning.

6 thoughts on “Crutches, Pills, Insomnia, and Oversleeping

1. eeek! I’m glad to hear that your daughter is okay, but it’s a shame that Peter will have to miss playing soccer this spring. We missed you at the ECWCA conference, but I’m sure that anyone on staff would be glad to chat you up about the sessions you wanted to attend. We’re thrilled by the event’s success and everything we learned, and naturally, we’re itching to talk about it. ;)

2. I’m glad everything turned out okay–talk about walking the edge! It is also too bad that insurance coverage these days tends to add insult to injury.

3. All seems to be well, though our insurance company is being iffy about whether they consider a six-year-old with a bone chip an “emergency”… Our healthcare plan at UWEC was much, much better than it is here at Seton Hill. That may simply because, as a state employee at UWEC, we had a much larger bargaining group. Anyway, my job today is to call the Latrobe Parks & Rec and cancel Peter’s membership in soccer. That’s really too bad — of his own volition, he had asked to play. When he gets better, of course I can kick a ball around with him, but I was looking forward to watching him play on a team.

4. Dennis, I am sorry to hear about Peter and Carolyn’s misfortunes, but luckily it turned out fine. I hope you and your wife were not too hard on yourselves. I believe that people try and plan for every mishap, but there are still some that slips through the cracks, no matter how careful they may be.