A Kinder, Gentler Type of War

How indulgent is World of Warcraft? The game actually rewards you for not playing it. If you log out of the game in an inn, you get double experience for a while when you return later. According to the documentation, staying away from the game for a week should give you about a level and a half worth of experience point bonuses, the better to catch up with your more obsessive online friends. —Lore SjöbergA Kinder, Gentler Type of War  (Wired)

A fascinating concept… I’ve never tackled EverQuest becuase I’m intimidated by the time requirements (that is, if I want to keep my job and have a family at the same time).

One thought on “A Kinder, Gentler Type of War

1. I haven’t been so tempted by a MMoRPG since I weaned myself off of AC a few years back. I played WoW open beta and really enjoyed it; one of the main reasons was that I felt that I could casually play. Plenty of quests to keep me busy, and I grouped mostly out of companionship rather than necessity.

Plus, as the screenshots on TerraNova show, it is a beautiful and stylized world – even on my modest computer.