10 Questions with Philipp Lenssen

[Blogging] makes everyone a producer of news, for one thing. Not everyone does create news, some just transport them also. Every blogger does a bit of both, I guess. And that adds up to a sort of global brain, which digests ideas or discovers facts and such. The speed and variety of this conversation might be something very new in world history we’ll have to see where it takes us, and if it improves certain things.

Personally, the strongest effect blogging had on me was that I could finally talk to people through my website in a sort of standardized way that would just work. I had a certain other site which I just shut down because it didn’t find its audience? it was a “homepage” in the worst sense of the word. Every news bit I added to it was structured into some sort of navigational hierarchy, which is totally meaningless in terms of talking to someone. A blog is simple to explain technically, but the fact that it allows you to start a conversation is really what makes it so different from regular “homepages.” —Philipp Lenssen10 Questions with Philipp Lenssen (The Geek Guy Rants)

I stumbled into the blogging format for similar reasons. My blog started as a collection of instructional handouts that I was adding to regularly as I noticed patterns in my reaction to student work. It was a huge pain to change menus throughout my website every time I added a new document. Plus, every time I expanded a certain idea into a whole paragraph, I felt the need to rewrite other handouts on a similar topic.

It’s one thing to create a single website or a collection of web pages, but it’s another thing entirely to maintain a huge site as it develops and grows organically. Lenssen here does a good job capturing the essence of that difference.