Tomas Nilssons portfolio

Remediation of a classic? A satire on visual cruft?
http://www.tomas-nilsson.se/

Slagsmålsklubben – Sponsored by destiny from Tomas Nilsson on Vimeo.

One thought on “Tomas Nilssons portfolio

1. Sorry about the double posting on your blog from yesterday. I got disconnected from the page after clicking submit. This piece is quite amusing! I would argue that the title gives us an idea of its purpose.
    I am not sure of the context of the whole word and how it was chosen; however, Slag (Fight) + Maal (Goal) + Klubben (Club) suggest that a conflict over plans can be trumped by technology. The hunter was one step ahead of the wolf there. It can also definitely be read as a satire of “visual cruft” as you call it….For me, it brought to mind, IKEA and Volvo’s culture of precision manufacturing and durability. I suppose there is something to be said for too much analysis, but the results speak for themselves. Whether all the information added detracts or augments the narrative needs to be decided by each viewer.
    Personally, I found it quite funny and appreciate your sharing it with us. It would be the perfect story in the curriculum of a design school where the students had to create their own representations of traditional folklore (perhaps this was the case here).