Why Twitter’s Dying (And What You Can Learn From It)

Someone who thought Twitter was da bomb, and who apparently has very little historical awareness of previous forms of social media, now realizes that, human nature being what it is, this is why we can’t have nice things.

We once glorified Twitter as a great global town square, a shining agora where everyone could come together to converse. But I’ve never been to a town square where people can shove, push, taunt, bully, shout, harass, threaten, stalk, creep, and mob you…for eavesdropping on a conversation that they weren’t a part of…to alleviate their own existential rage…at their shattered dreams…and you can’t even call a cop. What does that particular social phenomenon sound like to you? Twitter could have been a town square. But now it’s more like a drunken, heaving mosh pit. —Bad Words — Medium

One thought on “Why Twitter’s Dying (And What You Can Learn From It)

1. I have a FB account and I’ve also been tweeting and retweeting other folks’ stuff for several years now. One big difference in MY only experience with Twitter is that I rarely get anyone registering a reaction to something I tweeted, so I never know what impact what I’ve tweeted has on anyone. Maybe THIS (knowing what impact i’ve had) is not “supposed” to be a part of Twitter, but Twitter does allow for the “@___ ” reply, but I can count on one hand all the times I’ve gotten one of these in the last several years. This feels frustrating to me.