Finished Reading “Deathly Hallows” for the First Time

img_4721Whem my kids started reading the books on their own, I fell behind. I finally just finished reading “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.”

I’m glad there were just 3 Hallows, and rather wished there were about that many Horcruxes.

Shortly after I arrived at SHU a student compared me to Lupin, so I’ve followed his arc through the books with interest. Lots of subplots to tie up. The “WTF was that all about” King’s Cross info-dump was nicely mixed with character development; very glad there wasn’t a cringe-worthy “deus ex midi-chlorian” moment, though the many cameos during the battles were a bit like the “At the Dance” ballroom skits from the Muppet Show — couples whirl into frame, exchange a few lines, then whirl out of frame to make room for another.

Never could figure out what Hermione sees in Ron.

Overall, though, yes, that was satisfying.

16 thoughts on “Finished Reading “Deathly Hallows” for the First Time

1. I somewhat agree re: Ron and Hermione, but I wouldn’t want anything to screw up Harry and Ginny, which is one of my favorite romantic relationships in fiction. They’re just terrific.

2. Just a little trivia. Rowling has stated that she made Hermione like Ron for personal reasons back when she first started writing the series but if she had to do it over again she would have put Hermione with Harry. Oh well.