‘Fontgate’: Microsoft, Wikipedia and the scandal threatening the Pakistani PM

I would call this “typefacegate,” but then I am an insufferable pedant.

The daughter of Pakistan’s prime minister has become subject of ridicule in her home country after forensic experts cast doubts on documents central to her defence against corruption allegations. … Documents claiming that Mariam Nawaz Sharif was only a trustee of the companies that bought the London flats, are dated February 2006, and appear to be typed in Microsoft Calibri. | But the font was only made commercially available in 2007, leading to suspicions that the documents are forged. | Social media users have derided Sharif for this apparent misstep, coining the hashtag #fontgate. —The Guardian

8 thoughts on “‘Fontgate’: Microsoft, Wikipedia and the scandal threatening the Pakistani PM

1. “but then I am an insufferable pedant” So glad there is still at least one of those left among my FB friends! : ) A guy who was a few years behind me in school (12 grades in one building) used to fill that role in our alumni and local nostalgia groups. Unfortunately he passed away this past February. I hesitate to be a “nitpicker” myself … My husband of 50+ years keeps telling me, “No one likes a smart***, Tiiu.”

2. “It is a curious thing,” remarked Holmes, “that a typewriter has really quite as much individuality as a man’s handwriting. Unless they are quite new, no two of them write exactly alike. Some letters get more worn than others, and some wear only on one side. Now, you remark in this note of yours, Mr. Windibank, that in every case there is some little slurring over of the ‘e,’ and a slight defect in the tail of the ‘r.’ There are fourteen other characteristics, but those are the more obvious.”

“A Case of Identity,” Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, Arthur Conan Doyle.