Numerical errors usually occur for one of these five reasons:
- A journalist mishears a correct number given to them by a source and fails to double-check it.
- A source unwittingly provides a mistaken piece of information and the journalist fails to verify it.
- A source deliberately fudges the numbers and the journalist fails to verify them.
- A journalist or editor miscalculates a figure.
- A journalist re-reports a mistake made by another media outlet.
A hedge fund’s ‘mercenary’ strategy: Buy newspapers, slash jobs, sell the buildings
What Does the Demise of Cursive Mean?
That "Top 5" countdown listicle stuffs 5 pages of runners-up between #2 and #1.
Self-Regulation: American Schools Are Failing Nonconformist Kids
For New Acquisitions, UMD Libraries Choose Ebooks by Default
Making a case for a singular ‘they’