Using a Typewriter Simulator to Teach Media History

Working on the syllabus for my “Media and Culture” class on the history and future of the book.

14 thoughts on “Using a Typewriter Simulator to Teach Media History

1. I had a manual typewriter in my Writing Center when I taught First Grade . One of my students excitedly exclaimed,”Wow! Check it out! This doesn’t even need batteries or electricity to work!”

2. I worked in an office once where what they called “kindergarten skills” were routinely used to cut and paste: actual, physical cutting and pasting of documents, then using a copy machine to create the doctored one.

3. My hubby and I had five or six portable typewriters; the best one (my mother’s) was taken by a young relative early on. We still have a portable electric Smith-Corona, which I’ve kept for “sentimental” reasons. No idea where to get ribbons for it, though … well, I have to admit I haven’t actually looked online, or anywhere else. I really have NO DESIRE to go back to a typewriter … When I was working on my Master of Library Science at UC Berkeley in the ’60s, the hardest class for me was the first semester of cataloging; I actually had to RENT a decent typewriter to churn out those neat and perfect catalog cards!!! 🙁

4. I can cancel an office hour for that time slot – let me know what day :). I even have old dip pens, real goose quills, and a bamboo dip quill that Evan made in art class a year and a half ago. I’m in!