Short Research Papers
As you know by now from your STW class, writing a college research paper involves finding original research from credible academic sources.While we still have some works of literature to read before the end of the term, much of our focus will turn towards preparing you to write a short academic research paper.
Today's reading (please write an agenda item as you would for any other assigned reading):
We will discuss turning your topic into a research question, which is a step on the way to coming up with a thesis statement.
Things to avoid in a thesis statement in a literary research paper:
- Flannery O'Connor uses imagery of good and evil in order to define her characters.
- T.S. Eliot uses mythological symbols in his poetry.
- In Shakespeare's Merry Wives of Windsor, is Falstaff a villain or a victim?
- There are two possible ways of looking at the male characters in Susan Glaspell's Trifles.
- While some people may say Prufrock is weak and unsympathetic, in fact he is a psychologically deep character who suffers nobly.
- People who sing "The Star-Spangled Banner" at sporting events should take the time to learn more about the history of Francis Scott Key's famous poem.