Ten unmissable examples of New Games Journalism

Last week‘sblog on the state of videogame writing, and the possible solution offered by New Games Journalism, attracted plenty of debate, but many of you wanted to see a few more examples of the NGJ style. —Keith StuartTen unmissable examples of New Games Journalism (Gamesblog)

I’ve been kicking around an idea for a games-related writing project that combines my interest in computer gaming history with my role as a journalism teacher.

I’m a great fan of The Soul of a New Machine, as well as Levy’s Hackers and Stephenson’s In the Beginning Was the Command Line. Those only touch on computer games, but they’re all rich explorations of the computer geek culture that was one of the influences on today’s gaming culture.

At any rate, I’m blogging this now in order to remind myself of these examples over the next couple weeks, so I have time to reflect on what I’d like to put in a proposal I’ll need to write before the end of the month.

This might be just the hook for me to hang the hat that I hardly knew I was holding.