She said the manhole she fell in to was left open and unattended with no warning
signs or orange cones. She said two workers with the New York City Department of
Environmental Protection failed to secure the area as they prepared to flush the
“It was just really gross and it was shocking and scary,” she
said. “Because of their careless mistake I got hurt.” —WCBS
It does sound like the utility workers created an unsafe environment, but the words “careless mistake” pulsate with irony. Thanks for the suggestion, Mike.