Yahoo, You Nagged Me Too Many Times; Bye!

I have a Yahoo account that I use when a website or a local business insists I must provide an email address. Over the years, it has gotten clogged with spam. The filter is actually pretty good, so I can always find what I need, but it’s not usually a service I check more than once a day.

At the moment I am working on a project that uses my Yahoo address, so I have been checking it more frequently. Every time I check it on my iPad, I get this annoying interstitial ad:

20130527-110356.jpg

No, Yahoo. If I had wanted your app, I would have already downloaded it one of the 300 other times you nagged me about it.

There does not seem to be any way to set a preference to stop the nagging, nor is there a way to force Yahoo to deliver the desktop version instead.

The last time I checked, Yahoo would only allow you to forward your mail if you pay for the service.

What kind of a business plan involves being so intrusive that you hope your users will install your software or pay you money to make you go away?

Fortunately, it is possible to add a Yahoo account to the iPad mail app. I initially didn’t want to do that, because I did not want my Yahoo incoming mail to trigger the “new items” icon, but I have trained myself not to care quite so much about the status of that icon.

I won’t be installing Yahoo’s app, and I won’t be visiting their website to check my mail either.