So Long Blogging. Hello—Yep, We’re Going to Say It—Plogging

I still blog, because I want control over my own archives, so that I can link back to my own posts to provide context (such as this 2004 post on the emerging SHU blogging community, or this 2011 post on the switch from MovableType to WordPress). Your past pretty much doesn’t exist if you post it to Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram, because those communities are built around the now.

STORY-474147874-582x437Facebook and Twitter posts, as we know all too well, force you to sacrifice subtlety for space. (Medium has the opposite problem—it’s always existed as a venue for longform; now it’s trying to build a bigger audience.) Platforms have figured out how to monopolize their attention; in a way, bloggers should be glad that they’re now getting more tools to command that attention for themselves without having to compress their thoughts into an arbitrarily small box. Yes, you give up a degree of independence when you commit your content to someone else’s site. But you also become much easier to discover.Such are the tradeoffs of a post-web world. The blog—a shortening of “weblog” is on its way out. Now we’re blogging on platforms. We are—yes, we’re going to say it—plogging. –Wired