Who wears the pants in Lara Croft's house?

We [the class] have been talking a lot about Lara Croft on my blog the past couple of days and this is due largely in part to the fact that she is the topic of my term paper. I posted two very distinct pictures of Croft on my blog in order to get a general response from my classmates. The first was a promotional photo that someone added a caption [Babe In Toy Land] to and made into fan art (note the use of the word Babe). The photo featured a model dressed as Croft with a gun barrel pointed at her lips, and she was looking rather seductively at the camera [almost as if she was looking at you]. The issue that this photo raised was whether or not Croft was aware of her own sexual presence. In the end we concluded that the game designers control what we think about Croft. —Leslie RodriquezWho wears the pants in Lara Croft’s house? (Roamer’s Zone)

A good collection of links to a range of opinions about Lara Croft, the virtual heroine of the Tomb Raider series. The comparison to Barbie and the analysis of trans-medial representations of pop femininity takes this blog entry beyond the usual “is Lara Croft good or bad” essay.

It’s not hard to find moralists who disapprove of both Lara Croft and Barbie, or pro-power activists who welcome both icons of positive imagery. It’s even more interesting to study the nuanced positions of those who are pro-Barbie but anti-Croft, or vice versa.