Babylon 5: A Dream Given Form | Noise2Signal

My sister used to send my wife and me videotapes full of Babylon 5 and Mystery Science Theater 3000, when I was a graduate student in Toronto. Since we often ended up watching six or seven B5 shows in a row, we got a good sense of the show as an overall story, rather than just stand-alone episodes. I have often told myself I would like to show B5 to the kids, but Carolyn would need to be a bit older to follow the complex plots.

This blog is revisiting B5 episodes, to see whether they stand the test of time. Has it really been 17 years? Hard to believe.

In the world of science fiction TV, Babylon 5 is generally considered the first of the modern* story-arc series. It’s a genuine departure from the “Wagon Train to the Stars” paradigm that Old Trek created. I don’t think we’d have had Buffy The Vampire Slayer and the Battlestar Galactica reboot without it and Deep Space Nine to convince the studios that genre audiences had long attention spans and an appetite for moral complexity.

For me personally, Bab 5 was the the TV series of my mid-twenties. I watched it as I settled into married life and into the strange rhythms of being an expat. I watched it as my professional life and a good deal of my interior life fell apart. I watched it as I built both back up and started to become who I am now.

And then I never watched it again. —Babylon 5: A Dream Given Form | Noise2Signal.