Time article with clickbaity headline: Web users annoyed by marketing tricks

This Time magazine article is a good one, but that “what you think you know is wrong” headline is more of the same obnoxious clickbait that the article itself critiques, so here’s a bit of what I found useful.

Scrolling is more acceptable behavior than it used to be. We’re all much more used to scrolling now, especially when using mobile devices. Just because we click a link doesn’t mean we read or share what’s on the other end of the link; we still engage meaningfully with news, while we click on and ignore fluff. (So, marketers who trick us into clicking are not getting the best visitors — the best visitors are repeat customers.)

I have been burned so many times by clicking on a link to Upworthy, BuzzFeed, or the Huffington Post that I have blocked links to those sites from my Facebook feed. (I don’t block the people who post the links, but I do block all links to those destinations.)

Screen Shot 2015-06-04 at 11.21.36 AMWhere TV asked for your undivided attention, the web didn’t care as long as you went click, click, click.In 20 years, everything else about the web has been transformed, but the click remains unchanged, we live on the click web. But something is happening to the click web. Spurred by new technology and plummeting click-through rates, what happens between the clicks is becoming increasingly important and the media world is scrambling to adapt. — What You Think You Know About the Web Is Wrong (Time)