Whitlatch Publication

Dr. Michael Whitlatch, professor of speech and drama, has a review published in the November issue of Choice. His review of “Technology in American Drama, 1920-1950 Soul and Society in the Age of the Machine,” by Dennis Jerz has just been sent to college and university libraries. —Whitlatch Publication (Buena Vista U)

Gulp! As I prepare to mark term papers and final projects, it’s probably a good thing that I am suddenly reminded of what it feels like to be judged. I wasn’t able to find any online information on the periodical “Choice” — it’s just too common a word to Google; based on the context and the title, I’m guessing it’s a librarian trade magazine. I’ll have to wait a bit to learn what his verdict is. (On a side note… I like the BVU concept of the BVU information page.)

Whitlatch is a prolific reviewer with decades of specialized experience in the subject matter and time period I studied in grad school. He has plenty of publications under his own belt, so I’m bracing myself for some serious criticism.

A few hours ago I got my hands on Nick’s book on interactive fiction (“Twisty Little Passages“), and of course I flipped it open to the works cited list looking for my name, and there it was. I feel like a real academic now. Of course, the URLs are all broken, since they point to my UWEC website, but I’m going to set up a redirect now.

And, while I’m on the subject of academic books, I wrote a long comment in response to SHU student Brian McCollum’s blogged rant against literary anthologies. (By the way, I’m not the teacher he’s referring to.)

Update: Rosemary Frezza writes, “I found the review of your book – it is short but very positive!” That’s a relief. I’ll ask the author if I can post it.