Learning Early That Success Is a Game

“Sometimes you do everything right and you still die,” Mr. Wade said. “So you pick yourself up and start again.”

I can live with that message, even though I can’t shake the feeling that it was designed to sell books to conflicted parents like me. —Learning Early That Success Is a Game (NY Times)

An interesting review of Got Game: How the Gamer Generation Is Reshaping Business Forever.

My son used to hate losing any game… but that changed when I introduced him to a “how to play chess” CD, that uses cartoon characters and creates an epic quest, not just for a single game, but for the whole goal of improving your skills so you can defeat King Black.

Peter will often hit “reset” when a game — almost any game — isn’t going well for him. When he invited me to race against him in Lego Stunt Rally, he found it difficult to resist the urge to “reset” automatically when one of the computer-controlled drone cars passed him (I didn’t even come close to threatening him… he’s got a lot of practice time on that game). The trial-and-error method works for some professions, but students who turn in five polished pages of a rough draft, then jettison their whole paper topic when I suggest revisions, aren’t really learning the writing process. (I’ve attempted to compensate by splitting the larger assignments up into many small ones, but in my lit survey course, with 30+ members, students sometimes objected to being asked to sit through so many oral presentations from peers who either still roughing their ideas out, or reading directly from their previous draft.)

This link was suggested to me by my boss’s boss (who is not a blogger herself, but must like having them work for her.)