53-keys New Standard Keyboard

After 130 years of typing the same way the keyboard has finally grown up. [Who or what was doing the typing? The subject of the sentence is “the keyboard”. The word “typing” is a dangling modifier.] Standard Keyboards of Santa Maria, California announced [missing word — “an”] “alphabetical” keyboard that offers user-friendly benefits and quick data entry for any level user. New Standard Keyboards debuted [stylistically awkward… “introduced” would be a less-pretentious alternative] a patented USB-interface [bravo — a correctly hyphenated compound modifier] computer keyboard at CES 2005. This keyboard has just 53-keys [whoops — if that were a “53-key design” then it would need a hyphen, but in this case the hyphen is spurious] and offers many advances over QWERTY and DVORAK designs. —53-keys New Standard Keyboard (Tech-Blog.org)

I’m bleary-eyed from catching typos in the syllabi that I’ve been posting online this past week, but I can’t turn it off. Nobody’s perfect, but where is the verb in that headline? Sheesh.

Some of the well-known details about the QWERTY layout have been attacked as myths. (Maybe we can export some of these keyboards to Nigeria.)

The article that Slashdot featured is obviously based on the company press release, which is of course what the company was hoping would happen when it released its news. But the press release opens with the cringeworthy line, “New Standard Keyboards will debut a new patented design in computer keyboards at the CES show that the company claims has been 130 years in the making.”

130 years… boy, those guys at CES sure take a long time putting their show together, don’t they?

The press release is overly possessive. Do we really need to know in the third graf that the keyboard has been patented in the US and the UK?

But the writer omitted a possessive when editorializing that the new design “differs from other manufacturers failed attempts.”

I know what a hunt-and-peck typist is, but I’m not so sure what “hunt and peck typists” have to do with each other.

Okay, I’ll stop. I do have a weakness for criticizing misguided marketing efforts. (But I’ve also blogged kudos to Hormel’s SPAM.com.)