Freedom of speech redefined by blogs: Words travel faster, stay around longer in the blogosphere

Jessica Prokop thought the textbook for her class at Seton Hill University was biased and that its author “seems like a bitter man.” In the annals of student rants, nothing extraordinary there.

Except she didn’t just blurt out those words in her journalism class. She blogged them. Soon, the author himself was responding all the way from England, pledging to re-examine an upcoming edition given her critique.

Junior Mike Rubino got a more extreme lesson about free speech in the blogosphere. His “10 reasons why Seton Hill doesn’t need a football team,” including a claim that “jocks” would bring more drugs, alcohol and fights to campus, irked arriving players who found his Internet posting months later.

“I even got calls to my room,” he said. “They talked to my roommate, thinking it was me, saying things like they’re going to kick my butt.”

Awkward encounters? Sure. But instances such as these are providing teachable moments for faculty at a growing number of colleges nationwide, including Seton Hill. There, a professor and his prolific community of student bloggers are exploring the good and the ugly about a rough-and-tumble form of Internet discourse whose popularity has exploded. —Bill SchacknerFreedom of speech redefined by blogs: Words travel faster, stay around longer in the blogosphere (Pittsburgh Post-Gazette)

Schackner did an excellent job looking past the stereotype of bloggers ranting in their pajamas from their parents’ basements.

The article includes a picture of me in my office with two students. (That was a very wide-angle lens — my office isn’t very big, but I do manage to use the space very well.)

The article also mentions the comfy chair, and photos from the wreck my family and I survived in June.

I’ve been working on a new portal for blogs.setonhill.edu. What do you think? This is version 1.1.