What Does the Demise of Cursive Mean?

Are you aware that our children aren’t being taught to trim their own goose-quill pens? And don’t get me started on the growing number of urban children who lack adequate access to parchment. Here’s a welcome, balanced response to the decreased role that penmanship plays in today’s schools — and in today’s society.

My clients are often stuck in mindsets or stalled in places they know are holding them back. It’s my job to clear the muck and help them work through their resistance. Follow your gut here. Put your energy there. What’s in the way?

Sometimes I have to turn that eye on myself. So is there something in my way here? I hate the idea of cursive going away. Strongly object to it like you can’t believe.

But that would really only be detrimental if I was refusing to learn how to use all the technology afforded me and suggesting my clients live in the past with me.

via What Does the Demise of Cursive Mean?

8 thoughts on “What Does the Demise of Cursive Mean?

1. Cursive should be TAUGHT AS AN ELECTIVE ONLY. it is no more essential then Latin, and in my subjective opinion, less interesting. it’s benefits are largely a myth, the most proven ones it has to no greater extent then print, the claim that it is faster is based on an active distortion of facts, there are studies that show that cursive is faster only if legibility is not relevant at all, cursive with its ornate and pompous loops and curls is actually significantly slower to write legibly then print. in the end, the sole “benefit” is making your handwriting look more pompous. also to people who have trouble with long handwriting anyway, it is flat out torture. which is fine as an elective, but is in no sense something anyone should be required to learn, only those specifically interested should bother with it. let cursive survive as an optional elective.