- “The Science of Scientific Writing” (1990)
- from ‘pong’ to ‘pac man’
- Michigan Police fall for The Onion satire about terrorist telemarketers
- “Ebonics” (ebony + phonics)
- Silly alarmist story about recessive blonde genes
- A scientist undone by plagiarism
- Google News (when it was new)
- Mel Gibson’s plan to film a move in Latin and Arabic
- A lovely little study in British ecocentrism: two amateur ornithologists in the same neighborhood have each acquired an owl whistle, and seem to be hooting at each other “with no actual owl involved.”
- A composer accused of plagiarizing a completely silent composition
- No charges filed against astronaut Buzz Aldrin, accused of punching a moon hoax conspiracy theorist
- The Ubiquity, Functions, And Contexts Of Bullshitting
- An email from a former student who wrote, “Thank you. I was very fortunate to be in your class. No other class ever has, nor I suspect ever will, prepare me as thorough.”
- A Scottish chemist who says she discovered why leftover pizza tastes so good the next day
- The persistence of chalkboards in higher education (I don’t share the sentiment but I appreciate a well-written bit of professional nostalgia)
- The first smiley emoticon, and Kevin Mackenzie’s suggestion of -) for “tongue in cheek”.
- The one-year anniversary of the 11 Sept 2001 terrorist attacks.
In MLA Style, use the ellipsis only to mark an omission from the middle of a quotation.
Students tend to zone out during my lectures on proofreading. I time it so I can say “clas...
Henry Bemis waited his whole life to finally read a book. Listen to Lynn Venable’s story,...
Hard Time #StarTrek #DS9 Rewatch (Season 4, Episode 19) O'Brien deals with the implanted m...
ChoiceScript tutorial for making casual, phone-friendly, stats-driven storygames. Choice o...
Rules of Engagement #StarTrek #DS9 Rewatch (Season 4, Episode 18) Worf is accused of destr...