Laura K. Pahl is a Plagiarist

Take her money and cut and paste a paper together from the internet that was so obviously plagiarised that she’d be guaranteed to get caught. And then, if I was able to get the information out of her, I’d report her to whatever her school was, and who knows, maybe even pump her for double money in exchange for not turning her in. Either way, I’d eventually be writing the story up in this blog, and sending her the link to it.

Is this harsh? Eh, I don’t think so. She got the syllabus saying she’d be kicked out of school for plagiarism, so she shouldn’t be surprised. Plus, I have a nice little English degree that I did all the work for myself, so I find it a little offensive that this girl for whom money is no object is buying papers like that. —Nate KushnerLaura K. Pahl is a Plagiarist (A Week of Kindness)

Very painful to read. I can’t say I agree with Kushner’s approach, either, but then in my profession I have an obligation to correct and instruct, rather than publicize violations. Kushner could have accomplished what he says is his goal — teaching Pahl a lesson — simply by sending a private e-mail to the university. He didn’t need to publicize it in this manner. It’s hardly a secret at this point, so my link to the blog entry isn’t going to add much to Pahl’s troubles.