RandomVisitor

I have written about how traditional chess engines are constructed and about how they go about figuring out what moves to make. I have speculated on how Rybka, a new and powerful chess engine is constructed. I have written a software specification for a new way to estimate the value of a chess position, or a new “evaluation function”.

My task now is to convince everyone that my speculation is sound. Although I lack time, I am slowly starting to create software to test these ideas. I suspect that someone else will have some code togther to experiment before I will, but nevertheless it is worth a try to see if these ideas have any merit.

It would sound like a good project for a grad student or someone who has time to give it a try. —John JerzRandomVisitor (chessgames.com)

My big brother has been blogging on chessgames.com under the name “RandomVisitor.” He just recently revealed his identity there.

My son, who’s eight, can already whip my butt in chess if I don’t pay close, close attention. Until recently he has been too willing to sacrifice his queen for little gain, and after he does that I can often win. But not always. At any rate, he’s far better than I am at openings and the endgame, because those are easy to practice on a computer.

Every so often, after he beats me, he asks, “Am I ready to beat Uncle John yet?”

I tell him, “Keep practicing.”